Apply by October 24, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Program: WCCS Winter Shelter
Reports To: Director of Housing and Homeless Services
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Hours: Seasonal (Temporary)
Salary: Salaried @ $21 per hour equivalent
Job Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Director of Housing and Homeless Services, the Shelter Manager is responsible for scheduling, overseeing, and coordinating the activities of staff and volunteers during the hours of emergency shelter operation. The Shelter Manager provides direct supervision, in person or by telephone to Shift Supervisors, plans and implements the operations and maintenance of the shelter.
Duties & Responsibilities
· Perform necessary tasks to set up shelter, ie hiring, supply procurement, forms, signage, ordering and coordinating delivery and placement of containers and fencing, etc.
· Acquire and maintain appropriate supplies for daily operations
· Create a Shelter shift schedule for hours of operation, 7 nights a week
· Prepare alternate coverage for shift schedule in case of illness or emergencies
· Confirm, in advance, meal volunteers. Food procurement and delivery for meal planning and preparation in case meal volunteer does not show.
· Coordinate kitchen staff and volunteers; schedule nightly dinner coverage
· Schedule and ensure janitorial and sanitation operations are completed
· Supervision responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work
· Conduct regular training for all direct service staff
· Coordinate with Vet’s Hall Management, referral agencies, and case managers as needed to ensure compliance, accountability and accuracy
· Interview clients and input data into HMIS System as necessary
· Communicate activities and needs of the shelter to the Housing Director
· Experience with social services, preference given to those with shelter experience
· Must pass a DOJ criminal background check prior to start date.
· Must be able to insured under Agency auto insurance policy.
Ability and willingness to work as a team member and support the mission and goals of West County Community Services.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Prior experience in Shelter Management; 1 year required; 2-3 years preferred
• Experience in social services and personnel management
• Demonstrated experience in working with the homeless; sensitivity to issues of homelessness, substance abuse and mental/physical handicaps
• Strong supervision skills; able to create positive, productive work environment
• Good communication skills; able to speak well, computer literate, able to document shelter activities, create staff and volunteer schedules, etc.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
• Ability to interface with Shelter residents, staff and volunteers in a calm and respectful manner at all times, including under duress or in a crisis situation
• Ability to thrive in a flexible, fast-paced environment, while maintaining a sense of humor and a positive, solutions-oriented approach
• Willingness and ability to enforce behavioral guidelines and motivate resident participation in the functioning of the Shelter
• Ability to both take direction and to work autonomously when necessary
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to regularly use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, controls and equipment. The employee is required to both see and hear. The employee must be able to walk, sit and stand. The employee occasionally lifts up to 40 lbs., and occasionally kneels and bends.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
West County Community Services is an equal opportunity employer. Our agency values Diversity and considers all applicants for all positions without regard to color, ethnic background, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status, or any other legally protected. We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds to apply for any open position in which they feel qualified.
Dannielle R Danforth
Director of Housing and
West County Community Services
PO Box 325. Guerneville, CA 95446