The WCCS board voted last week to finalize plans for Project Nourish, building a full-featured commercial kitchen at the West County Senior Resource Center. This project will accomplish the following:
- An expanded kitchen, including commercial range, refrigeration, food preparation space, and storage to produce more, better quality and cost-efficient food
- A clean, safe and well-lit food preparation space, with modern electrical and plumbing fixtures for seniors to cook and share lessons with youth
- A professional training space to provide professional 360-degree food service training (food prep, cooking, presentation, service, cleanup) by seniors and local professional chefs.
- Direct employment training for local youth, including those in WCCS at-risk educational and job instruction programs
- A local facility in which the community can gather to cook 80+ meals a day for the annual winter emergency shelter (December-March).