Reports to: Director of Counseling and Behavioral Health
Apply to: email@example.com
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt; part-time or full time
This position provides counseling services in the Counseling Department
Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Director of Counseling and Behavioral Health/Clinical Supervisor and within the limits of the organization’s programs, policies, procedures and budget, counseling duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. Plan and facilitate school-wide substance prevention and educational presentations/activities.
2. Provide assessments for identified high-risk students.
3. Conduct individual and group counseling sessions for referred and walk-in students.
4. Plan and implement parent outreach and educational services.
5. When appropriate, participate in student case conferences.
6. Coordinate referrals to mental health, alcoholism, and drug treatment programs as well as other community services.
7. Make presentations and schedule expert educational presenters about the program at faculty meetings.
8. Attend school activities and consult where appropriate.
9. Support students returning to school from suspension.
10. Coordinate needed services as identified by unique school culture and administration.
11. Other duties as assigned by the Director of Counseling and Behavioral Health.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Minimum education requirement: BA in related field.
2. Minimum of two years working with adolescents.
3. Training in Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Prevention, preferred.
4. Master’s degree in the field of social work, counseling or psychology, preferred. A trainee may be considered.
2. Knowledge and /or experience of clinical issues related to adolescent populations and drug and alcohol prevention/interventions preferred.
3. Demonstrate an ability to work independently and cooperatively with others, and to work creatively with limited resources.
4. Personal qualities including:
a. The capacity to understand one’s own psychological issues, and the ability to prevent them from interfering with the practice of counseling;
b. The ability to recognize and reflect upon countertransference issues;
c. Psychological-mindedness; the ability to hypothesize about the underlying meaning of behavior and communication;
d. The ability to generate and develop, with the client, an attitude of mutual curiosity about the client’s patterns and difficulties, as well as about phenomena which occur within the counseling relationship.
e. Interpersonal skills: cooperates and collaborates effectively. Displays a professional demeanor. Promotes a cohesive, team-oriented environment. Ability to work effectively with a wide range of personnel and clients in a diverse community.
Office environment within, Analy, Laguna, or El Molino High School. Some evenings and possible weekend hours needed.
Some sitting, stooping, bending, lifting may be required. Visual, hearing and vocal skills are required.
Other: This maybe a clinical, part-time or full-time ___ hours per week position. Depending on hours per week, this position may not include health or retirement benefits, nor accrual of sick and/or vacation benefits. The employee in this position is subject to the personnel policies of West County Community Services.